REGISTRATION FOR 2023 LICENSURE EXAMINATION (GTLE) 2
The National Teaching Council is mandated by Education Regulatory Bodies Act 2020 (ACT 1023) to regulate the teaching profession in Ghana. As part of the Council’s regulatory functions, it is mandated to conduct examination for licensing of people who desire to teach.
The purpose of the Licensing Examination is to enable qualified teachers acquire a professional licence and prepare teachers to meet the demands of the National Teachers’ Standards of possessing the minimum knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes necessary to deliver effectively in schools.
Five years after the introduction of GTLE, the Council is embarking on reform to introduce Subject-Based Ghana Teacher Licensure Examination (SBGTLE) this year. This is a response to the need to test both the content and professional knowledge of the prospective teachers.
- Form of the Examination
All candidates shall write three papers which comprise the
- General Professional Knowledge paper. This paper comprises numeracy, literacy, and essential professional skills contents.
- Grade-level Specialism Pedagogy paper. The pedagogies are differentiated by levels of specialisation. That is, Early Grade or Early Childhood, Primary and JHS, SHS/SHTS and Technical Vocational Schools.
- Multiple Subjects Content or Single Subject Content Knowledge (subject specialism).
- Multiple Subjects Content: prospective teachers who are trained for Early Grade/Early Childhood or Primary levels will write Multiple Subjects Content Paper for their respective levels since they will teach all subjects in their respective classes.
- Single Subject Specialism: prospective teachers who are trained for junior high, senior high or TVET will write one paper in their areas of specialisation.
- Content Areas and Tables of Specification
Prospective candidates may visit https://ntc.gov.gh/gtle-content/ for detailed content areas and tables of specification.
- Eligibility for the Licensure Examination.
- A candidate is eligible to write SBGTLE only when he/she has a Bachelor of Education Degree or a Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
- Candidates with foreign degrees shall provide a certificate evaluation report from Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC) to prove their eligibility.
- Indexing Process
- A prospective candidate shall be indexed before registering for the Ghana Teacher Licensure Examination.
- An indexing fee is Fifty Ghana Cedis (GH⍧50.00.
- Payment can be made at any branch of Prudential Bank Ltd nationwide or mobile money payment can be made through the short code *772*51# across all networks by using your college or university index number.
- After successful payment, you will receive a message on your phone which contains your name, indexing number and further instructions.
- Visit https://indexing.ntc.gov.gh to verify your details by logging in with your indexing number received on your phone via sms. For the in-banking payment, if you do not receive indexing number immediately you can use your transaction number from the bank which can be found on the payment receipt to log in to verify your details.
- Use the indexing number to register for Ghana Teacher Licensure Examination.
- Before a prospective candidate can make payment, his/her details will have to be uploaded onto the indexing portal by their training institutions.
- A prospective candidate will not be able to pay at the bank or via the short code if he/she does not have a minimum qualification of degree.
- Registration Process
- Check your status on the NTC exam portal (exams.ntc.gov.gh) to determine whether your data have been uploaded onto the portal by your training institution before you start the registration process.
- Candidates shall pay four hundred and fifty Ghana Cedis (GH⍧450.00) for three papers.
- Payment can be made at any branch of Prudential Bank Ltd nationwide or mobile money payment can be made through the short code *772*51# across all networks.
- Where payment is made at the bank, candidates must remember to take their Pin and Serial Number from the bank.
- Log on to exams.ntc.gov.gh
- Enter your e-voucher Serial number and Pin
- Fill in all the fields and remember to upload your passport-size photograph.
- NTC will not accept any request for change of photograph after the examination.
- Review information provided before submitting.
- Print Summary of the inputs made.
- Read the examination regulations and check the box before submission.
- Candidates should keep their Pin and Serial Numbers secured after registration for further use.
Candidates must complete their online registration not later than 31st July 2023
- There will be no extension in the time for registration beyond the 31st of July 2023 deadline.
- Dress code should be formal or professional.
- No baby at the examination hall.
- A candidate shall select and write the SBGTLE in their major subject. In the case of Early Grade/Early Childhood or Primary a candidate shall select and write multiple subjects content.
- All candidates shall select and write a paper in pedagogy related to their area of specialisation (pedagogy in early grade/early childhood, pedagogy in primary and JHS and pedagogy in SHS/TVET).
- Announcement for registration of re-sit candidates for the traditional GTLE shall be made very soon.
- Notice of Reminder
The ongoing registration for the 2023 Ghana Teacher Licensure Examination (GTLE) 2 is for fresh candidates only. Due to the GTLE reforms, which is to be implemented this year, the Council has given three chances to candidates who have referrals in the traditional GTLE (Essential Professional Skills, Literacy and Numeracy) to redeem themselves. The first two chances have been utilised. Re-sit candidates will have their last chance to write GTLE in November 2023. After this chance, there will be no examination for the traditional subjects from 2024. Any degree holder who has referral in the traditional GTLE and wishes to write GTLE again must start afresh with the SBGTLE dispensation from 2024. However, any diplomate who has referrals in the traditional GTLE and wishes to write SBGTLE must first obtain a degree.
Date for Examination:
13th – 15th September 2023
NATIONAL TEACHING COUNCIL